Umbria Italy, Napa Valley California





The Simple Life
We are in Umbria, Italy now.  The moment I stepped off the plane in Rome I could feel the Italian air, it was just heaven, warm and inviting, thick with possibility.  My girls are so happy to be back, Italian flying off their lips with confidence and ease.  I’ll always sound like a foreigner and I find it funny when people even women say they love my accent.

Oh how I love the yellow lines in the roads in California

I am trying to make a life in Umbria and Napa Valley, it isn’t easy to say the least especially because I’m not rich, I’m actually negative rich (whatever that means? You get the point.)

In California I love the porches and life that goes on there
Italians love to ask which life is better?  I bite my lips and refrain from saying “DO YOU THINK THAT IS AN INTELLIGENT QUESTION?”  Americans just assume it is better over here.  I think the people in both countries really have romanticized the ideals, culture and life in Italy and America.  I tell you this, it is really hard to make a life in Italy and in America.  I have one daughter born in California and one daughter born in Umbria, that sums up my situation pretty easily.  

This house in Napa Valley if it were for sale would cost about 700,000.  I do love a white wooden house, to me it feels like home.

      

I’m giving it a try to somehow find a presence in both countries.  I’m trying to teach my daughters to be women of the world, to love and thrive in both countries.

I have work set up for this summer to paint interiors here in Umbria.  Put a paint brush in my hand and I’m happy. 

In Umbria Italy it is always green, mountains and hills, homes with solid stone steps.                                         

Umbria, Italy /settedesign7.blogspot.com


You may be laughing at me, how I like to title certain posts The Simple Life.  In a funny way I feel like I have been discovered for not having a simple life at all!  The Simple Life is a mental state, it is about trying to enjoy the little aspects of life that bring us joy.  Right now I'm going to throw on a cotton shift dress, walk up the cobblestoned streets, feel the sun on my back and meet up at a friend's wine bar and we are going to talk about what color to paint her interior.

Cheers,

Natalie


2 comments:

  1. Natalie, So nice to hear from you again! So you are spending part of the year in Umbria and part in California as I understand your post. I don't know if I could handle the frequent major transitions. I suppose after a time one gets used to doing it--gets the steps organized and somewhat automatic after a few times.
    I would love to see Umbria. From your pictures it looks so lovely, especially the old stone houses and, as you note, the greenness. I'm glad you are happy to be back there. I am anxious to see your next projects. You do beautiful work from what I've seen on your blog. It's so great that your girls are happy being there, too. I hope you have a lovely, summer in Italy. And keep me/us posted on your work and doings.

    Fondly,
    Naomi S.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Naomi,

    I definately remember you because you and I stray from the norm a little bit no? I hope to post some of the interiors I'm working on, but sometimes it is just hard to photograph before I go on to the next job. Umbria is waiting for you when you want to visit. Last night we went for a walk by a huge Roman wall and it felt like magic.

    Best,
    Natalie

    ReplyDelete