How To Grow Rosemary Topiaries




Hello EVERYONE

Yes I did tint the colors on the photo above, did I get your attention?

I have been working on this project for so long and I have been excited to show you.  Why, because it is easy and simple and so pretty. This is what we just love here at Sette Design.




For interior spaces I love see a little splash of real greenery, "let’s bring the outdoors inside" idea.  These Rosemary Topiaries are lovely because you can cook with them when you want, use them to make the room smell fresh and have the pleasure of the structure of a topiary.  I understand these are not classic topiary shapes (hardly you say!), yet what I like about them is the free form growth.  To me this is a modern take on country style. As they grow you can cut and form them as you like.

Sette Design faux painted dresser
All I did was cut off some branches from a friend’s big bush.  I tried to find branches that already had a three-prong branch.  I put them in a vase of water for a few days, then I dunked the ends in honey (as a root compound), then I put the branch directly into the soil.   I don’t know if the honey works as a root compound for rosemary but it does work for roses so I gave it a try.

Sette Design Rosemary branches


Sette Design planter in chalk paint 

I trimmed away the leaves from the steam. Then I propped the rosemary up straight with paintbrushes and the wire we have here in Italy to close the bread bag.  Any piece of wire or ribbon will work fine.  Sometimes I use a heavy stone to keep it growing in the right direction.

I found that about ¼ of the branches just didn’t take root.  So plant a bunch of them to be sure to have success.

Sette Design Growing Rosemary Topiaries
Good luck, tell me if you give it a try and if they come out pretty.

If you start now you might have a little Rosemary Topiary to decorate for Christmas time.  It would be a splendid gift to give.

Sette Design
Cheers,
Natalie

I'm linking with these parties:

3 comments:

  1. Yes, I agree. These beauties would make wonderful gifts!
    Blessings~
    Kim @ Curtain Queen Creates

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love them. Would look so pretty sitting on a window sill.
    Mary @ Orphans With Makeup

    ReplyDelete