Antiquing and Distressing Furniture




For a long time I have wanted to paint a piece that was painted brown underneath and then creamy white on top.

A while back I found a beautiful antique dresser that was already painted a good chocolate brown.


I think brown is the new black.  I love a rich dark brown mixed with color and with neutrals.


This work was really easy but I didn’t really know what I was doing.  I was just playing in my studio.  I think originally I wanted more brown left on, but then I backed off and added more cream.

Here is  the before shot and here is what I did.

before shot still pretty

I first painted the edges with Vaseline (petroleum jelly).  My idea was that it would repel the paint.  The same idea I use when I put wax on the edges.  It didn’t really repel the paint but it did make it easier to wipe off later.

Sette Design - Painting with petroleum jelly

Then I mixed cream latex paint and white primer with just a teaspoon of baking soda to make a chalk paint recipe.  I added water.

I painted the whole piece really fast.

Sette Design -Painting with Chalk Paint


After it dried some, I distressed it with a damp cloth.  This gave the distressed look that I wanted and let the pretty antique brown come through.

Then I went back in with the cream color and even highlighted it with the edge of a small brush to make the piece pop and add contrast.

Sette Design

Sette Design

I mixed the color raw umber oil paint and added a bit of turpentine, mixed this and took a dry brush and brushed off the paint on to a separate piece of wood.  I dry brushed on the oil paint mainly over the brown paint but some on the edges of the cream finish too.  Then went back over the dresser with the cream highlighter alternating the techniques.

Sette Design dry brushing furniture

In the end I put soft wax just on the top of the dresser.  I wanted it to stay looking opaque.


Sette Design I love the pine needles
with my hand painted frame
See how I painted it olive green to day-glow green 

Sette Design 


That is it.  Do you like it?
It is Autumn here in this hemisphere, time to go make a cup of tea and get in my studio where I have a big armoire waiting to be made gorgeous.

Natalie

I'm linking with these design parties because they are fun:


No comments:

Post a Comment