Silver Leaf Vs. Copper Leaf



silver leaf with copper leaf panels

Last Fall I was up in the hills of Umbria working on a house and I did this wonderful Silver Leaf Door HERE is the link to that post.  It came out great, yet the clients felt it could be better.  These clients are so cool and smart and like to talk about light and color and design (they work in film) so I was actually happy to work on it again, plus they would pay me, plus there would be many months before I attached the project again, fresh start... ahhh.

here is what it looked like before


silver leaf door

These clients it turns out had a love of copper leaf, not a favorite of mine, because I feel like it is just too pink and glary, picture copper tubing or the bottoms of kitchen pans to get the image of the color I mean.  But guess what, it turned out that the dark red brick floor reflected so much onto the pink-orange of the copper leaf that it toned down the pink and it became this color.  What the *** color is it?  Shall we call it burnt orange?  Not really!  Doesn’t it look great with the stairs and tile work?  I know it isn’t really a fair competition because these present photos are better then the Silver Leaf photos and there are more of them.



I got to say it looks glamorous
You know what I learned again that environment matters.  You can pick a design because you love it.  I think the Silver Leaf Door worked really well with the color of the grout in the flooring, it has a more uniform effect.  The Copper Leaf Door pops, it looks more designed and articulated.  On the latter I also darkened the color of the hardware and did the frame that surrounds the door in silver leaf also, this makes more contrast.

and yes there is a loft space and huge skylight above,
could you just cry with envy


hardware is looking pretty good huh?
I do believe that if the design makes you happy then it is a success.  Yet we must think about the environment around the project and even the other rooms in the house.  I believe there should be congruency.  What do you think?  Do you have a preference?

Happy Weekend

Natalie

I'm linking with:

1 comment:

  1. I'm a silver girl... copper just doesn't work for me. At least a lot of it doesn't. I'm not sure why. Thanks for sharing! Stop by my Friday's Five Features and link up this post (and others)! http://diy-vintage-chic.blogspot.com/2013/08/fridays-five-features-no-5.html

    ReplyDelete