Snow Quilts - Simon Beck



Simon Beck snow art


Artist Simon Beck plods though the snow in snowshoes creating these sensational patterns of snow art.  Working for 5-9 hours a day, each final piece is typically the size of three soccer fields!  The geometric forms range in mathematical patterns and shapes that create stunning, sometimes 3D designs, when viewed from higher levels.  How long these magnificent geometric forms servive is completely dependent on the weather.  Beck designs and redesigns the patterns as new snow falls.  Sometimes unable to finish a design due to significant overnight accumulations.

“The main reason for making them was because I can no longer run properly due to problems with my feet, so plodding about on level snow is the least painful way of getting exercise.  Gradually the reason has become photographing them, and I’m considering buying a better camera.”  - Simon Beck

The above is the information I got in an email from a friend.  I tried to get a hold of Simon dreaming of getting some kind inspirational quote about design.  I confess I am not on facebook, much to the displeasure of some of my friends! Anyway he is a busy guy.  My mother suggested I put up his art on my site with out his knowledge because “all artists want exposure.”  I would love to know what he thinks about as he works.  So there you are just breathtaking, stupendous, words cannot even describe.    I do understand that he uses an orienteering compass to create the perfect geometric designs, sometimes even a head lamp while creating at night and that he studied Engineering Science at Oxford University.












Go Simon you have a fan in Italy.

Natalie


No comments:

Post a Comment